Prevent Summer Brain Drain!
Yellowstone Nature Connection with help from the community and Town of West Yellowstone, Barefoot Books, and Treacy Foundation, will begin our storytime reading to children this Thursday, June 18th at 4:30 pm. This is a free event to children and their families.
- Bring your child(ren) to Yellowstone Nature Connection by 4:30 to listen to a story or two
- Children enjoy the story and an activity
- Sign up to receive helpful activity ideas and tips for preventing summer learning loss
- Free books for those who sign up for the e-newsletter
- Expert-curated and teacher approved summer reading lists for every age group!
While summer reading is typically associated with school-age children, it’s equally important to keep infants, toddlers and preschool-age children intellectually engaged over the summer. Our reading program has something to offer for children in a wide age range, from birth to 10 years and older.
Brain drain, summer learning loss, summer slide, or summer holiday ‘unlearning’ refers to students’ loss of skills and knowledge during the summer weeks when school is out.
Students lose an average of one month of school learning over summer vacation/holiday, with some students losing up to three months of learning.
Summer learning loss is greatest in math computation, reading and spelling.
Teachers of all grade levels often need to spend the first several weeks of each school year reteaching what students learned the year before.
Reasons for summer learning loss include limited access to books and the absence of positive reading experiences.
What parents and families can do:
- Read at least 6 books. According to studies, reading 6 books or more over the summer can help children retain learning from the preceding year.
Build your home library. Have a diverse selection of books on hand from which your children can choose — children are more engaged when they select the books they read!
Add concept books to the mix. Include books that reinforce basic learning concepts, especially math.
Bring the books to life. “Unpack” the books through discussion and activities.
Give us a call (406) 646-7557,
Check out the website: Laura-Jevtich.BarefootBooks.com to see the books, or
drop in at our office at 10 Yellowstone Avenue, West Yellowstone, MT 59758 to sign up early.